Sunday, July 28, 2013

Module 5


Module 5 included a plethora of information to absorb.  The readings, videos, handouts, and projects contained a number of different things related to research.  The focus was primarily on quantitative research, but qualitative was present.

In the Mertler (2012) reading for the week, data collection in both qualitative and quantitative research was covered.  They were divided into sections and types of data collection for different research techniques were covered.  As always, in addition to the explanation of a topic and bold-faced key words, Mertler does a great job with including sample data collection tools, sample records, and charts for the topic at-hand.  These visual concepts and sample tools were very helpful to me while searching through numerous articles for the review of literature, as it helped to clarify many things I was reading.  The Mertler video also helped to clarify some of his viewpoints that I encountered throughout his readings.  I enjoy his informal, short and to the point clips.  It gives the area of research a bit more humanistic approach to understanding.

The Phillips (2008) reading was split into two sections for the week, but both focused on quantitative data.  The first section focused on the principles of quantitative research.  I never realized (until this class) how intricate and detailed quantitative research is.  I knew that it had involved numbers and the scientific method, but this week went into a great number of other things associated with it.  To be honest, not being a “math” person, I am a bit overwhelmed with these details.  While I am a bit over-whelmed, I will say that Phillips did a great job explaining it.  The second section of his reading focused on the descriptive study of quantitative research.  I felt a little more at ease while reading this section.  I appreciate how he included an example study and broke it down into sections.  He then explained each section of the study and even included tables.  This was very helpful in deciphering components that I may not understand when reading just the research.

The handout regarding how to construct a survey was very helpful for this week’s discussion component of the research etude guide.  I was able to draw knowledge that I had gathered from Dr. Brophy’s class and quickly understand what this week’s handout was referring to.  The examples of phrasing of survey questions were very helpful.  I actual now understand why the survey I must fill out after every teacher in-service is structured the way that it is.  Ah, education.

The review of literature took a lot of time to complete.  I am thankful that a sample was attached to the instructions.  I must admit that as useful as the OWL website is for APA, I do find this process over-whelming at times.  It is probably because I have never had to write this much in my life.  Nonetheless, I am learning a lot from reading the research on urban music education and have actual seen some things I plan on trying this coming school year.

I found the video to President Obama very interesting.  Campbell brought up good points regarding the potential in all people for success in the arts.  While I agree that if Obama were to inflict change within education it would be good, I think we can all agree that a more localized level of influence needs to be confronted also.  As seen with common core, not all states have chosen to adopt it, even though it is for the benefit of the kids and our country’s future.  I would like to see more institutions of higher learning getting involved at the state level of government to help guide politicians to make better choices regarding the arts and education overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment