Module 6 contained a plethora of information regarding
quantitative research. Both readings,
the videos about statistics, and the video regarding Bennett Reimer were very
informational and explained things in a very clear manner.
The Phillips (2008) reading focused upon experimental
quantitative research. The reading
provided three examples of research studies (quasi-experimental and true
experimental). Each study was broken down
into sections with a commentary at the end of each section to help the reader
understand the information that has been stated. Being quantitative data, there are a variety
of numbers, formulas, and tables that are introduced and explained to the
reader in regards to how they fit with the research. I found the reading to be very helpful,
especially since there were three different studies. This provided me with three different
viewpoints of experimental research.
The Mertler (2012) reading focused on data analysis. Mertler goes into great detail in regards to
data analysis for both qualitative and quantitative research. As always, he breaks everything down into
sections, bold-faced words, provides examples, and provides many tables for
study. Mertler (2012) provides
explanation to different types of quantitative data types that can be utilized
in such a study. He also does a great
job explaining what each of the symbols in the different formulas mean. Although I am trained on Excel, I found his
suggestions for the “StatCrunch” program to be a very helpful alternative if
conducting research. Again, he provides
screen shots to help explain the process of using this program.
Mertler’s videos are always short but provide great
knowledge within them and I found it to be very helpful. The videos regarding statistics were
particularly helpful. Actually, I am
familiar the videos of the formulas because the 6th grade math
teacher at my school utilizes that YouTube channel with his students. One of my band students showed me one
time. I watched the video and thought to
myself “Hey! I know that voice!”. I am
not of the “math-mind” so I appreciated the explanation of what I am trying to
figure out. The excel videos were also a
very helpful reminder. Although we used
excel in Dr. Brophy’s class, the videos were a nice refresher course! I
thoroughly enjoyed the video regarding Bennet Reimer. As a music education major at U of I, that is
a name that was used quite often during my time there. I enjoyed hearing about his struggles and
triumphs with his life as a musician.
These were definitely things I did not know about him. It really opened my eyes because you never
know when you are teaching a child what they could end up doing with their
lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment