Throughout
the last 8 weeks, there has been a plethora of knowledge put in my lap. While I must admit I did feel overwhelmed
most of the time, I do feel that I have learned A LOT since taking this class.
Every week
there were readings from the Phillips (2008), Mertler (2012), and other
attached PDFs that needed to be completed.
I appreciate the variety of text that was utilized in this class as it
gave a number of different ways to present most of the same knowledge. I constantly spoke of the text of Phillips
and Mertler in these blog entries about how they presented items. While Phillips was music specific, Mertler
spoke to me on a more humanistic level for this class. All of the text that was read during this
class has taught me something; they just approached things differently. The plethora of videos that were provided
throughout this course helped to clarify many different aspects of the research
process. The weekly “spot-light” videos
on prominent figures in music education were very interesting. I definitely learned some very interesting
things about these people. My favorite
was the Bennett Reimer video…I thoroughly enjoyed hearing his musical journey
through life!
APA format
has become my new best friend with the help of the OWL website. I had limited use of it in college. I remember using it in one class during a
specific unit. In high school, MLA was
the source of choice, as well as in my rhetoric classes in college. I am thankful that research in music
education has come in the first semester of my degree program. I am sure APA will be utilized extensively as
I continue in the program. I hope to
become more fluent in its approach as time progresses and I utilize it even
more.
I have
realized that research is much more organized and detail-oriented than I had
originally thought. I always thought
people just sat down and started typing, reading, and studying. I now realize that there is more to
qualitative and quantitative data. There
are specific types of these research studies that require a very specific
process. It actually took me a few weeks
to realize that these mini-assignments we had been given were parts to a
research project that would later be combined.
Not only am I more familiar with how research works, I am also more
familiar with issues that I face on a day-to-day basis in my school. Reading the research regarding strategies for
urban band programs has helped me to think differently about my approach to
certain aspects of my job.
In regards
to the Phillips (2008) text for this week, I believe that teacher participation
in research is absolutely essential. I,
personally, think it is atrocious that politics determine educational decisions. I am a music teacher…do I tell a
microbiologist how to do his job? No. It
is time that teachers be given the opportunity to change the way education is
approached. With that being said, it is
time that teachers take responsibility for being part of the bigger solution
with open arms. I do not think that
integrating research into our classrooms is going to be easy, but action
research is definitely doable. Teachers
can work together by grade level or subject specialty in order to better the
education of students. I believe that if
there were undergraduate classes that focused on research (as tedious and
time-consuming as it is), young teachers would be much better prepared to go to
the literature for suggestions. Young
teachers would also be prepared to have the skill necessary to conduct a
research study. At this point, I do
believe that I would consider an action study for my capstone project, however,
I am in my first semester and that could change as time progresses.
While I am
glad that the plethora of written work is over for this class, I am happy that
I had this experience. It has opened my
eyes to the process of educational research and I believe it has helped me to
become a better teacher. I look forward
to integrating new approaches into my teaching as a result of the research in
this class.
Thanks for your good work during this class!
ReplyDelete